The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) is a critical agency in Nigeria’s education system. Established in 1978, JAMB plays a central role in the country’s university admission process. Its primary purpose is to ensure fairness, transparency, and standardization in the process of admitting students into Nigerian universities and other tertiary institutions. At the core of JAMB’s activities is the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME). The UTME is a standardized test that serves as the primary entry requirement for prospective university students in Nigeria. This examination assesses students’ knowledge and readiness for university education. It covers a range of subjects, including English Language, and other relevant subjects, depending on the chosen course of study. To participate in the UTME, candidates must register with JAMB and obtain their unique JAMB registration numbers. JAMB has made this process easier by creating an Electronic Personal Identification Number (ePIN) for aspiring tertiary institution candidates.
The e-PIN is a unique 10-digit alphanumeric code issued by JAMB to each UTME candidate during the registration process. It serves as a form of identification and authorization for registration. Each e-PIN is specific to an individual candidate and is required to complete the registration.
How Much Is JAMB ePIN?: Where Can I Buy JAMB ePIN
JAMB is the sole authority recognized by law to set the price of E-pins, also known as scratch cards, officially established at N3,500. ePINs can be obtained from various sources, including
- Eleven participating banks (FIDELITY, UNION, STERLING, ACCESS, Stanbic IBTC, FCMB, UNITY, FIRSTBANK, JAIZ, and Polaris).
- Mobile Money Operators like Packway Projects (Readycash), Pocket Moni, Paga, TEASYPay, Xpress payment solutions, and e-Transact.
- Microfinance banks such as Regent MFB, Trust MFB, Obeledun MFB, and Zazzau MFB also offer E-pins.
- Online payment platforms like United Payment Services (UPS), InterSwitch (Quickteller), Upper-link, System Specs (Remita), and e-Transact, as well as cooperative societies, Nigerian Embassies, and other partners, are also available.
How To Buy JAMB ePIN and Register
- Payment through Banks, Including Microfinance Banks: UTME candidates should present their Profile Code and pay by cash or card. JAMB ePIN will be sent as an SMS to the candidate’s phone.
- Payment through POS: POS payment is accepted at accredited partners and JAMB offices. Candidates present their Profile Code for payment via cash or card. JAMB UTME ePIN is sent via SMS.
- Payment through Mobile Money Operators: This service is available at accredited CBT Centres and selected outlets. Present your Profile Code and make a cash payment. JAMB ePIN will be delivered through SMS.
- Payment Using ATM: Candidates can pay through ATM at participating banks via the InterSwitch Channel payment system gateway. Choose Bill Payment, select JAMB, enter the UTME Profile Code, and make the payment. JAMB ePIN is sent to the candidate’s phone.
- Online Payment on JAMB Portal: Log in to the JAMB website, select Purchase of Application Document, enter the Profile Code, choose the payment method (InterSwitch or Remita), pay, and receive the ePIN via SMS.
- Payment Procedure at Foreign Centres: Foreign candidates can visit www.jamb.gov.ng/efacility, create a profile code if not already done, login, follow the guidelines for Foreign UTME/DE registration, and make the payment through recommended platforms using their cards.
- Payment Using Remita: You have the option to procure your JAMB e-PIN effortlessly through Remita, a reputable agent, without incurring any additional charges beyond the standard fee. To do so, visit the remita website. Following this, send a text message containing ‘NIN’ followed by a space and your 11-digit NIN number (e.g., NIN 00123456789) to either 55019 or 66019 via SMS. Subsequently, you will receive a 10-character Profile code on the same phone number, which is a vital component for obtaining your ePIN. To finalize your purchase, access the provided link, make a selection between JAMB DE or JAMB UTME, and input your profile/confirmation code, and the phone number linked to the confirmation code, along with other requisite details. Lastly, designate your preferred payment method and proceed to submit your request.
How To Recover Lost JAMB ePIN
In some cases, candidates may not receive their JAMB ePIN via SMS, or they might lose their ePIN. Don’t worry if this happens. You can simply send either “UTMEPIN” (for UTME candidates) or “DEPIN” (for Direct Entry candidates) to 55019, and your ePIN will be sent to your mobile phone. Once you’ve successfully received your ePIN, you might wonder what to do next. It’s quite straightforward. Take the ePIN to a JAMB-accredited center. They will use the ePIN to register you for the current year’s JAMB exam.